For some people, there is nothing more terrifying than the buzz of one of the most menacing, stinging bugs known to humankind - the bee. This winged aviator of common, outdoor areas like gardens, pools and picnic tables has been known to strike fear in the hearts of many. Perhaps they are afraid of its vicious sting, so intense, it can even cause death for certain bees after stinging their victim. Maybe people are just afraid of the potential wound left on their body, a bump with a small red dot in the center - the mark of a bee sting victim - that has the potential of growing into a giant, red, swollen disaster. There is also a possibility that they are allergic, and they wish not to suffer from a serious allergic reaction. However, for most people, a bee sting is nothing more than a mild, slightly painful annoyance. Whatever the case may be, here is a quick guide for bee sting treatment.
You may not have heard the bee, you may not have seen the bee, but you definitely felt that sharp, burning sensation, if only for a moment. Now you feel a dull, throbbing pain in the affected area. Upon inspection, you notice a soft, smooth, white bump on your flesh with a red mark in the center (sometimes, the stinger can still be found on the stung area and requires removal). The affected area can swell up for several hours, but should eventually subside along with the pain. In some cases, the stung person may experience itching at the site of the bee sting.
For those who might suffer a more severe reaction to a bee sting, the following symptoms may appear:
Anaphylactic shock is a possibility for those who are allergic to bees. According to MayoClinic, the following are common symptoms of a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting:
MayoClinic also states that only about 3 percent of people who suffer a bee sting go into anaphylactic shock.
Depending on the severity of your reaction to a bee sting, proper home care is all that is typically required for treatment. Upon locating the bee sting site, you should:
In the case of a serious allergic reaction to a bee sting, medical attention should be sought immediately.
Here are some useful tips to avoid being stung by a bee: