Acne is a condition that many have experienced at some point in their lives. Acne is especially troublesome during the teenage years and can be quite irritating. Some individuals are plagued with more than the occasional blemish and suffer from full blown acne, which can be both painful and embarrassing. Many people who suffer from the condition today are in search of a natural way to treat and control acne. In many cases, homeopathy can be just that.
What Causes Acne?
For the most part, acne develops as a result of clogged pores. Under the pores in the skin are follicles that are connected to oil glands. When the follicles get backed up and clogged with dirt and debris, a pimple begins to sprout. Although there is no one single cause for acne, there are some factors that are commonly associated with the development of pimples.
- During puberty, both girls and boys experience a strong and sudden surge of hormones which may be to blame for the development of acne.
- The same is true for pregnant women and women experiencing menstruation.
- Pimples may occur as a result of applying oily face makeup or with the use of birth control pills.
- In addition, acne may simply be the result of genetics; if acne runs in your family you may just be genetically predisposed to developing it.
Types Of Acne
Believe it or not, those pesky pimples make up several different types of acne. Depending upon the location of the acne and the presumed cause, your acne may be categorized by a specific name. Though there are quite a few kinds of acne, there are three major types that are thought to be the most common.
- Acne vulgaris is probably the most commonly seen form of acne. It is the type of acne thought to be brought on by hormonal changes and mostly appears on the face, chest or back. Individuals suffering from acne vulgaris may experience whiteheads or blackheads as well as basic pimples and large, puss filled pimples.
- Another frequently seen form of acne is acne rosacea. Acne rosacea is a combination of acne vulgaris and the skin condition rosacea. With acne rosacea, you will experience the symptoms of acne vulgaris coupled with a red rash that appears on the face like that of rosacea.
- The third commonly seen from of acne is cystic acne. Cystic acne is much like acne vulgaris but it is more intense, producing bigger pimples. At times it can be very painful. This type of cystic acne can cause scarring.
Signs And Symptoms Of Acne
The signs and symptoms of acne vary between types, but there are some common symptoms that may be present across all of the varieties of acne.
- The appearance of oily skin often accompanies acne.
- In addition, the appearance of whiteheads or blackheads and clogged pores may be highly noticeable.
- Typically, acne will also include pimples and pustules, which are puss filled, red, raised bumps.
- Acne in severe forms can produce nodules and cysts which are much larger than regular pimples. They can be very painful and often lead to scarring.
How Does Homeopathy Treat Acne?
Homeopathy is based on the principle of treating the person as a whole and not just treating the condition. Initially, during homeopathy, the patient will be given a full examination. The exam will include a complete medical history, which will discuss any hereditary links to the condition. Once you are evaluated, your acne will be treated with remedies that differ from conventional medications in that they are always natural and often of the herbal variety.
Types Of Homeopathic Acne Treatments
Homeopathic treatments for acne are utilized to help reduce the appearance of acne, minimize scarring, control oily skin and to help balance out any underlying hormonal problems. Types of homeopathic remedies will differ depending upon your symptoms.
- Sulphur is commonly used to treat the typical acne that is present from time to time in many teens and adults.
- Sanguinaria, or blood root, may be useful in treating acne in women related to their menstrual cycle.
- Antimonium tartaricum may be used for acne that consists of larger, painful pimples and cysts.
There are many varieties of homeopathic acne remedies available and it is best to visit a registered homeopath if possible. She can then evaluate your condition and determine which treatments might work best for you.
Tips For Preventing Acne
Aside from homeopathic medicines that may be given to you by a registered homeopath, there are many things you can do at home to help prevent acne.
- Chamomile tea, when brewed and wiped over the face, is thought to be a great home remedy for cystic acne.
- Your diet may play an important part in keeping your acne under control. Simple tweaks to your current diet may help, such as cutting out sodas and sweets and trying to eat a healthier, more balanced diet.
- The addition of vitamins A, zinc and niacin to your daily regimen may be helpful as well.
- Drink lots of water, which will help to remove toxins from your body.
- As much as possible, steer clear of oily lotions and face makeup that can contribute to clogged pores.