Have you ever been scared of taking a picture because it seems that the camera added 10 extra pounds to your face?
In this day and age of social media and cameras on every mobile phone, being featured in any photographic image is almost unavoidable. Even if you can't avoid the cameras, some of you may prefer to take a picture at a certain angle to make sure your face looks your ideal size. And one popular reason behind all this hiding and shame is that extra layer of skin hanging on the sides of your face. Yes, chubby cheeks are considered unflattering and unattractive, and many people will do anything and everything to decrease the size of their face, avoiding that dreadful chipmunk appearance. Here are a few facts and tips to help rid of those chubby cheeks naturally, without having to go under the knife:
What Causes Chubby Cheeks?
You might be asking yourself this question while you stare at the mirror each and every morning. While there is no direct answer, it's a common curiosity and one that many people ponder. There are several possible factors that result in having chubby cheeks including weight, genetics and poor lifestyle.
- Being overweight is one of the obvious culprits when it comes to having too much face fat. If your weight is above average, then the chances of having a larger face along with a larger body is high and imminent.
- Sleeping less and constantly stressing are also factors that make your face look saggy. Without the proper amount of sleep and stress relievers to help ease your day, you can make your face look fatigued and enlarged.
- Facial edema (water retention) is also known to cause large cheeks as the face swells and fluids are retained by the face. This can be caused by a medical problem, so it's recommended to seek out your health physician to find out if you are experiencing any health issues.
- Water retention is also known to be caused by poor diet, dehydration, allergies and poor circulation.
Having chubby cheeks may also be beyond your control, especially if you've inherited it from your family. Studies have shown that genetic inheritance can play an important factor as your genes determine the shape of your face and how your body captures and stores more fat in parts of your body.
Tips on How to Reduce the Appearance of Chubby Cheeks:
- Regular exercise: Exercising regularly is not only beneficial for your overall health and longevity, but a great solution for weight loss for your body and your face. Exercise is proven to be the most effective and safest way to lose weight. Simple cardio exercises such as a morning jog or taking a twenty minute walk each day will surely increase your chances of shedding those pounds. And when you start shedding the pounds off your body, you'll also start to notice the changes in your cheeks, particularly your cheeks and your jawline.
- Eat healthier: You can't expect to lose those chubby cheeks while eating a bunch of junk food and fast food do you? Even if you exercise daily, if you aren't on the proper diet, the results toward your goal will either be minimal or non-existent. Try going on a healthier diet that contains less fat, sugar, carbohydrates and salt. While some nutritionists theorize that an excessive amount of sugar and carbs lead to water retention in the face, salt is well known and proven to retain water, which leads to water retention in your face causing your face to look bloated. Increase the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet and you'll immediately begin to see effective results. Be sure to also increase your water intake to make sure your body is properly hydrated, as weight gain is also attributed to dehydration.
- Sleep more: Along with regular exercise, having the right amount of sleep is essential in losing face and body fat. When you sleep, your body rejuvenates and gets reenergized. Research has shown that people who sleep less than seven hours per night are more likely to become overweight, as the lack of sleep affects hormones in the body that affect your appetite which causes slower metabolism.
- Don't stress and relax: Being constantly stressed may lead to sleep deprivation and unhealthy eating habits. As mentioned, both can lead to an increase in weight gain. Instead of eating your way out of stressful situations, try exercising more. Studies have shown that exercise is a proven method of helping decrease excess energy, helping you feel more relaxed. If you're not a big fan of exercise or you just don't have the time, focus on a hobby or read a book. Anything the leads to stress reduction are beneficial to helping you lose weight, especially those nice round cheeks.
- Choose the right hairstyle: If exercising and staying on the right diet fails and it seems that your stubborn cheeks aren't collaborating with your body's results, try changing up your hairstyle. A simple change of hairstyle can drastically improve the shape and appearance of your face. Consult a professional stylist and find out hair styles that can make your face look thinner.