Lots of men are concerned with their sexual stamina in the bed. If you’re looking for ways to last longer with your partner, there are actually plenty of options available to you. Although male enhancement products offer one option, you may find that you don’t need to buy anything to improve your stamina. Some of the best methods involve simply changing your behaviors in and out of the bedroom.
What to Do Before Sex
Before you even climb into bed, you can do a few things that will help improve your stamina in the sack. The following are some methods you can use outside the bedroom:
- Masturbate: Many men masturbate simply to reach orgasm as fast as possible. However, this actually trains your body to ejaculate quickly when stimulated. Stop working against yourself! Change how you masturbate by steadily increasing the time it takes for you to climax to help improve your stamina for the real thing.
- Kegel exercises: Kegel exercises are not just for the ladies. Practice tightening the muscles that control your ejaculation to help you last longer in bed. This can be done by stopping the flow of urine then starting and stopping it repeatedly. Once you figure out how to do this, you can tighten those muscles for counts of 10 at any time – at work, while driving, etc.
- Ask your doctor about antidepressants: Some antidepressants have a surprising side effect – delayed orgasm. Depending on your individual health history, you doctor may be able to prescribe a drug like Prozac or Zoloft to help improve your stamina in bed. One benefit is that you may not need to take antidepressants everyday for this effect. Instead, you may be able to take them a few hours before intercourse for the desired effect. Antidepressants aren’t for everyone, though, so you’ll need to discuss the pros and cons in detail with your doctor.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: One option for men who struggle with their stamina in bed is to talk to a therapist about their relationships and sexual experiences. This can help reduce anxiety about sexual performance while also finding ways to last longer in bed.
What To Do During Sex
When you’re in the moment, there are several things you can do to preventpremature ejaculation or to simply last longer. Here are some of the methods recommended by health professionals:
- Stop and start method: When you feel as though you’re about to reach orgasm, stop the stimulation for about 30 seconds. This can be repeated numerous times throughout intercourse to help delay ejaculation.
- Squeeze method: Gently squeeze the end of the penis for several seconds at the point when you feel as though you’re about to reach orgasm. This can help delay ejaculation. You may also want to wait to resume intercourse for about 30 seconds.
- Distraction: Many men find that distracting themselves with nonsexual thoughts can help to delay ejaculation.
- Desensitizing condoms: You can actually get condoms made to reduce sensitivity on your penis, which can help delay orgasm. However, be especially careful that you don’t put the condom on inside out since that results in the desensitizing lubricant ending up on your partner instead of on you.
- Topical anesthetic creams: Like desensitizing condoms, these reduce sensitivity and help delay ejaculation. The creams are meant to be wiped off before intercourse, so be careful to follow directions carefully if you choose to use this method.
- Shallow thrusting: One way that you may be able to last longer in bed is by focusing on shallow thrusting instead of deeper thrusting. Try making smaller movements that penetrate the first two to three inches of the vagina.
- Have sex more often: The more often you have sex, the greater your tolerance for stimulation. This rule applies to most men, so one reason you may not be lasting long in bed is having sex infrequently.
Male Enhancement Products
Though the methods above work for plenty of guys, many are still tempted to use male enhancement products. There are pills, pumps, lotions, you name it. While some men claim to have found success with these products, most are sold simply based on customer satisfaction reviews rather than scientific evidence.
For example, male enhancement pills can be sold without approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), so it’s difficult to know whether they’ll have a negative impact on your health. Other male enhancement products like stretchers or extenders could potentially damage elastic tissue in your penis and affect your ability to maintain an erection in the future. Be aware that with most male enhancement products also comes a gamble with how those products will affect your health.
Because most male enhancement products aren’t backed by scientific research or evidence, it’s best to try the other methods listed here. Don’t expect immediate results. Instead, focus on changing your behaviors in the long-term to help promote a more satisfying sex life through improved stamina.