Beach Body Workouts Without The Gym
Summer is right around the corner, and you want to show off a lean and mean beach body, but you don't have the financial means to invest in a gym membership. Sometimes, going to the gym is more of a dreaded chore than anything else, or it just cramps your style. Here are some non-gym exercises to consider:
If the thought of doing repetitive motions on a gym machine does not appeal to you, try finding some local studios for classes that incorporate music, communal motivation and are fun for exercise. For those financially-strapped individuals, the first or second class offered by local studios may sometimes be offered at a discounted rate or even free to try. Similarly, if you have found what you enjoy, buying class packages or subscribing to the studio mailing list may give you even more discounts and a better price. Here are some classes commonly offered by independent studios:
- Most forms and styles of dancing
- Any martial arts
Fun Exercises in Your Environment
Not having enough time in your busy day is not an acceptable excuse for skipping a good workout. There are many ways you can incorporate small bits of exercise into your everyday life based on your environment. You just have to be creative!
For example, for stay-at-home individuals, these activities may be great exercises:
- Clean the house
- Organize the closet, workspace, or DVD collection
- Start a yard sale
- Remodel the house
And some exercises you can incorporate in your cubicle include:
- Personally delivering memos rather than via computer messaging.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park in the furthest corner of the parking lot rather than in front of the door.
The possibilities are endless! You just have to get creative on what your environment supplies you with, and you would be surprised on how much fun and exercise you can get from a seemingly mundane activity.
Get in Touch with Nature
Studies have shown that nature-based activities, such as gardening or hiking, may put you in a better mood and lower stress, as well as burning some calories. Therefore, slather on some sunscreen and bask in the glory of Mother Nature. Some activities you can do outdoors include:
- Strolling or jogging
- Walk your dog
Exercise Videos at Home
If you are more of a lone-wolf type of exerciser, at-home exercise videos may be for you. You do not need to purchase a pricey treadmill or gym equipment, as there is a variety of exercise videos available for purchase. Many aerobic videos today are inspired by styles of dancing and are infused with elevating music and a motivating recording of the instructor. Not only are these videos a great way to explore other forms of exercise without going to the gym, you will also be one step closer to getting your beach-perfect body.
Of course, eating healthier is also important to achieve and maintain a lean body, and will be even more effective when combined with exercise. Be sure to consult your doctor before you start any diet regimen.
Some foods you may want to eat include for:
- Fresh fruits
- Fresh vegetables
- High fiber foods
- Whole grains
- Lean meats and proteins
- Foods with no added sugars
Sometimes, eating too much of a certain type of food can leave you feeling bloated and uncomfortable. As a general rule of thumb, try to avoid these food items, which may increase water retention:
- Foods high in sodium
- Foods high in unhealthy trans fats and saturated fats
- Processed and packaged foods (usually high in sodium)
- "Sugar free" products and diet sodas
- Excessive alcohol
If you need some last-minute "tweaks" to help your body look even more ready for the beach, here are some tips:
- Getting a faux tan: Self-tanning is a great way to give you a healthy glow synonymous with athletes, beach and the summer. There are lots tanning options today that do not require exposing your skin to harmful UV rays, including sunless tanning lotions and spray tans, which can help you achieve some desired color.
- Give some definition: Face and body makeup, such as bronzer, highlighter and blush, can give your face and body a sun-kissed, post-exercise effect. You can also define and highlight desired features like those newly acquired abdominal muscles for everyone else to see.
- Get a haircut: Highlights in the hair suggest that you have been to the beach or just came back from a sunny vacation. A lighter color, or a new, shorter haircut, can also put you in a fresh state of mind to flaunt your beach body.
- Smile: There is no better "tweak" that will help you feel more ready for the beach than a radiant smile.
Regardless of your reason or excuse, there are still ways to get that perfect beach body with a workout without the gym. Use these fitness ideas to bypass the mundane gym workout, and achieve the beach body you have always wanted.