Body Cleansing Diets And Foods
Have you ever had a sick and/or aching feeling in your body that you couldn't explain? You weren't suffering from any ailment; your body was in tip-top shape, as far as you knew; you hadn't experienced any sort of injury; and you can't recall eating or ingesting anything that might have made you ill. So what could possibly explain that gross, nasty and sluggish feeling? Maybe your body is telling you that it just needs a little maintenance in the form of body cleansing, or a detox.
If you're not quite sure if your body is telling you it needs a little spring-cleaning, think of the following:
- All-you-can eat buffets
- Free refills
- Bottomless fries or breadsticks
- Weekend cruises
- Happy hour
- BBQ cook outs
- The Holiday Season
- Big parties and celebrations
These are the type of situations that can cause you to overload on foods and drinks that can cause a lot of wear and tear on your body.
Think of a car, or your home plumbing system. With all those pipes and tubes, and all that liquid flowing, there is a high probability of unwanted gunk building up and stopping everything from working correctly. Well, the human body can experience the same build-up, however the after effects are much more serious than a clogged toilet or an oil leak.
Here is a list of body cleansing diets and foods to try after you've had one too many weekend food or alcohol benders:
The Master Cleanse
It goes by various names: The Lemonade Diet, Maple Syrup Diet or Lemon Detox Diet, but it's more widely known as The Master Cleanse. Invented by Stanley Burroughs in 1941, this body cleansing diet is considered by some people to be an effective way to flush out toxins from the body, heal or cure particular ailments in the body and induce rapid weight loss during the duration of the diet.
The Master Cleanse requires the following ingredients:
- Maple syrup
- Cayenne pepper
- Laxative tea
- Natural herbal tea
This body cleansing diet lasts between 10 to 40 days, and requires you to:
- Flush out your system with a laxative tea.
- Avoid any solid food for the duration of the diet.
- Drink a lemonade mixture made from lemons, maple syrup and cayenne pepper.
While there has been no scientific evidence that this diet removes any toxins from the body, numerous reviews of The Master Cleanse claim that the diet really works in flushing out the body. An added benefit that has attracted many people to this diet is the rapid weight loss, with some people losing up to 20 pounds in a short time frame.
It should also be noted that nutritionist advice against the diet because it is lacking in numerous essential nutrients, and the required calorie intake for normal, daily activity.
Another diet you can try to cleanse your system is a juice fasting diet. This diet focuses on only consuming fresh fruits and vegetables in the form of juice. The diet is said to cut out harmful toxins that can be ingested through certain drinks and foods like red meat and sodas. Vegetables and fruits commonly used for this diet include:
- Milk thistle
It is recommended that you make your own juice with fresh ingredients and a juicer since store bought juices may include additives that defeat the purpose of the cleansing diet. Organic produce is also recommended to avoid any fruits and vegetables that may contain chemicals.
Body Cleansing Foods
Most people looking to clean out their systems don't need to resort to extreme cleansing diets. Many experts and nutritionists actually advice against such diets because they lack vital nutrients and vitamins. If you're looking for something simpler than a week of juice purging, try some of these body cleansing foods:
- Avocados: full of vitamins and nutrients like vitamin E and B6. Avocados can lower the "bad" LDL cholesterol while lowering toxicity that can destroy the arteries. They also contain a nutrient called glutathione that has cancer fighting properties and helps the liver process chemicals.
- Grapefruit: ruby red grapefruits in particular. This fruit contains a significant amount of fiber that helps your intestinal tubing with bowel movements. The vitamin C and potassium found in grapefruits also help flush out toxins in the body.
- Apples: the fiber content, especially pectin, helps clear out the intestines and breaks up and toxic build-ups. Apples are also filled with numerous nutrients and vitamins. Try eating more of the green variety in particular.
More Body Cleansing Tips
- Drink more water. It makes sense, right? Flush out your system the old fashioned, natural way and stay hydrated with water. Flavored water and water with additives don't count!
- Avoid foods with a lot of chemicals and additives and read those nutrition labels.
- Cut back on caffeine, and opt for green tea instead of coffee.
- Avoid foods high in sugar, saturated fat and trans fat.
- Get more fiber from green, leafy vegetables. Whole grains are okay, but the green, leafy vegetables are easier to digest.
- Slow down on eating too much meat, primarily read meat. Be a true omnivore and mix in more veggies in your diet.
The human body has various ways of indicating something is not right. Pain, swelling, bleeding and bruising are all indicators that something is wrong in your body. However, there are times when these indicators aren't that clear. If you start feeling groggy or flat-out gross, your body might be telling you it's time for some detox with a body cleansing diet or food.